Thursday, September 11, 2008

MYOB

I love having this forum to talk about weight loss, but I actually hate it when people in my day-to-day life point out that I've lost weight. I know people are mostly trying to be nice, but what I hear is "I think I have a right to notice and judge your appearance. Out loud." I get at least one of these a day, in just the past few weeks:

"You've lost weight!"
"How much weight did you lose?"
"How did you lose so much weight?"
"You must feel so much better?"
"Wow, I know you had surgery, did you have a tummy tuck, too?"
"You look fantastic, like a completely different person!"

I try to smile and be polite and fight the urge to mess with people.

It seems for every person who thinks it's rude to comment on someone's weight there are several who think it's rude not to comment. I even get people who apologize for not mentioning it sooner which really bugs me. They think I put in all this effort for them and now I'm just waiting for their approval?

Of course it doesn't bother me if the comments come from a close friend or from someone who wants information because they are trying to lose weight themselves. I also get some people who are genuinely concerned for my health. And a few are just funny like a brother-in-law who asked "Is it wrong to tell your sister-in-law 'nice ass'"?

Mostly, though, I can't wait until I've seen every single person I know and these comments die down.

No comments: