Thursday, July 24, 2008

Beans: The Breakfast of Champions!

I've been eating a lot of poached eggs lately, usually one with a slice of whole wheat toast and 1/4 avocado or an ounce of smoked salmon for a delicious 5 pt breakfast. This morning we were out of eggs so we went for some black beans. I ate a slice of toast covered with 1/4 c black beans and this sauce that I AM ADDICTED TO made from onions, garlic, and tomatoes all chopped up and sautéed in cooking spray, and a slice of toast with 1 Tbsp of almond butter and a couple of sliced strawberries. The whole thing was still only 5 POINTS, and WAAAAY filling! I'm pretty psyched about the beans. I think I might try toast/beans/egg (for only 4 POINTS!) as well (just because I love eggs, and what's more delicious than egg yolk oozing onto beans?).

Beware, though. The fibery goodness of beans only gets you so far - while 1/2 c will only cost you 1 POINT, if you double that amount you end up with 3.5 POINTS. My special friend found that out the hard way, i.e., after he'd eaten the whole cup.

No comments: