Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Exercise for geeks


Several years ago I bought a treadmill that had support for iFIT workouts. Basically this meant you could put in a video and pretend you're running in the Swiss Alps or something and the speed and incline of the treadmill would adjust to match the scenery.

Of course, more than running on the treadmill I wanted to hack the treadmill. I did some research and it turns out iFIT works by embedding audio tones in the video that the treadmill detects and uses to adjust its settings. And also, somebody beat me to the hacking, the i2Workout software does exactly what I want. I can create my own courses and then burn them to CD or put them on an MP3 player. Then I run an audio line to the treadmill and, presto, I can run the courses I want without having to fiddle with the controls the whole time I'm running.

I just started running for my cardio intervals and I'm looking forward to breaking out the treadmill software again.

No comments: