Friday, August 15, 2008

Turns Out, People DO Care What I Had For Lunch

Since I first mentioned it way back when, I've been bringing my lunch to work religiously. I've probably missed twice in the last month. And for the sake of convenience, it's usually the same thing: a veggie burger, English muffin, and maybe a slice of cheese. The English muffin and the cheese are snacks we already have at the office, so really I just throw a box of burgers in the freezer on Monday for the week. And on days we have salad or steamed veggies or fruit as part of lunch, I load up on those too.

No big deal, right? Nobody will even notice!

WRONG. Here are two representative conversations I've had in the past month:

Co-Worker 1: You brought your lunch.
G: Yes.
CW1: You know, we have a delicious lunch brought in every day.
G: Yes.
CW1: And I'll never get tired of reminding you that.
G: OK.

Co-Worker 2: It's salmon today! Salmon is healthy, right?
G: That does look good, but I brought a turkey burger.
CW2 [on seeing my plate loaded up with salad]: Oh, you caved.

Another friend at work has also started bringing her lunch, and last week someone asked her, "Didn't you used to eat like a normal person?" Guys, she was eating chickpea salad, not goat testicles! What's up with people?

1 comment:

Candace said...

That's just rude. When I was vegetarian I'd get comments on what I was eating a lot. I think if you're eating something different people think you must be secretly judging them and they get defensive.